Richardson City is one of the suburbs of Dallas seated right between the Dallas and Collin counties, and the history of Richardson is one worth noting. Currently inhabited by approximately 100,000 people and home to more or less 5,000 businesses and the famous University of Texas in Dallas.
It was not like this at the beginning of the history of Richardson, Texas, but they went through an amazing transition to get where they are today. This article will strive to dig into the rich history of Richardson, TX, and share it here.
Early inhabitants and development
The history of Richardson goes back way before the 19th century. Settlers hailing from Kentucky and Tennessee decided to stay in and build a community called Breckenridge, near the current Richardson area in the 1840s. Original inhabitants of the lot were composed of Comanche and Caddo Indian Tribes.
After 30 years, William J. Wheeler and Bernard Reilly donated land just outside the Breckenridge settlement on June 23, 1873. This prompted the Texas and Houston Central Railway to extend their services to the donated parcel. Which eventually created a new settlement, giving birth to the now Richardson, TX. Named after the secretary of the railroad company – Mr. Alfred Stephen Richardson.
Technological awakening of Richardson
Just a couple of decades later, Richardson became the interurban of electric railways from cities of all directions in 1908. From Waco to Denison and Corsicana to Fort Worth. In the history of Richardson, TX, it became the center of travel within the county.
Two years later, residents would receive their first telly. Which was a breakthrough from the previously archaic way of things. Electric lights and gravel streets also spread like wildfire around Richardson. Marking its way to being one of the biggest technological leaps in the history of Richardson, TX.
The path towards cityhood
In 1914, Richardson began constructing the Red Brick Road of Greenville Ave which was completed in 1924. This lit the wick that increased the traffic, population, and property values in Richardson. The year 1925 was a special year in the history of Richardson, TX. It was the time when the residents first voted into office their very first mayor, Thomas F. McKamy and the people voted for the establishment of waterworks which was completed just a year later. This provided an indoor water supply to the inhabitants.
Growth grew steadily until the devastating second world war.
The rainbow after the rain
After the second world war in 1945, Richardson experienced a peculiar boom in the population that jumped from 740 to 1300. Along with this transition is the development of public utilities and municipal services which includes:
- Police protection
- Parks and recreation facilities
- Collins Radio
- Shopping centers
This rapid development from the 40s to the 60s led to migration of approximately 500,000 residents into Dallas county.
Richardson was finally chartered as a city in 1956, a true achievement in the history of Richardson, TX.
Ever since the chartering of the city, Richardson has not ceased in the development of residential and commercial institutions within its premises. More parks and recreation facilities were developed for the public’s use. And the University of Texas in Dallas was Richardson’s highlight in 1969. They finally became a part of what is now known as the University of Texas System.
Residential and commercial lots continued booming until 1980 and 1984, respectively. Ever since then, developments were still observed annually but on a more linear, rather than exponential scale.
What happened to Richardson, TX now?
As of the year 2010, the census revealed an astounding population of 99,223. From a small group of migrants hailing from Kentucky and Tennessee, to an astounding city with a head count shy of a hundred thousand.
No longer the small interurban between big cities of the time, but now a center of commerce, businesses like tow services, and home to 88,000 employees every day.
The developments and construction of new recreational areas, sports complexes, and gymnasiums are still being established in the city. Richardson is a living testament to economic stability and good leadership. Small farmland in the 19th century became one of the cities that rivals others on the tech dev scene.
This is the beautiful history of Richardson, TX. Check out Richardson now!